Search This Blog

Thursday 31 March 2016

Review: The Lost Prince by Julie Kagawa

12614410

Book: The Lost Prince, Julie Kagawa
Series: The Call of the Forgotten #1
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Release Date: October 23rd, 2012

Don’t look at Them.
Never let Them know
you can see Them.


That is Ethan Chase’s unbreakable rule. Until the fey he avoids at all costs—including his reputation—begin to disappear, and Ethan is attacked. Now he must change the rules to protect his family. To save a girl he never thought he’d dare to fall for.

Ethan thought he had protected himself from his older sister’s world—the land of Faery. His previous time in the Iron Realm left him with nothing but fear and disgust for the world Meghan Chase has made her home, a land of myth and talking cats, of magic and seductive enemies. But when destiny comes for Ethan, there is no escape from a danger long, long forgotten.

My name is Ethan Chase.
And I may not live to see my
eighteenth birthday.
 



It was so great to come back to the world of the Iron Fey after Meghan and Ash’s adventure. I knew this was Ethan’s story, and I was so interested to see what his POV would be like and the kind of character he turned into after what happened to him in The Iron King. The last we had seen from him was when he was still the adorable four-year-old you just wanted to protect from everything evil in the world.

That Ethan is long gone. Instead we have 17-year-old Ethan, who is constantly being tormented by all different types of fey and is labelled as a freak and troublemaker by his peers and teachers because he always seems to be getting into trouble and can’t explain that it’s the fey’s fault. Because of this, he has turned into a very angry, disgruntled, untrustworthy teenager who won’t let anyone close to him for fear of the fey hurting them. It broke my heart to see Ethan this way as all I could remember was the precious little boy Meghan did everything she could to protect.

However I thought it was a great way for Julie Kagawa to continue her story in this world as it showed that Meghan’s story was over, but our time in the Nevernever wasn’t. with Ethan’s traumatic first entrance into the Nevernever when he was four, there was no way he would’ve left it undamaged and this book does a fantastic job of discovering that.

Even though he has spent the last thirteen years doing his hardest to stay out of Fey affairs and get on with his life, he eventually gets sucked into it when a half-faery friend of his goes missing, and the Courts don’t seem to care. Even though he isn’t happy about it and just wants to get out of the Nevernever as soon as possible, he is also incredibly determined to rescue his friend and defeat the new evil in Faeryland.

We get plenty of cameos from characters from the previous books, including Meghan, Ash, Puck and Grimalkin. It was great to see their lives after the events of The Iron Knight and I loved seeing Meghan be the true Leader she is as Queen of the Iron Fey. Her and Ethan’s reunion was lovely.

And we also get a bunch of new characters that I really loved. Let’s start with Kenzie, a girl in Ethan’s class who continually attempts to break down Ethan’s “tough guy” exterior to find the real Ethan underneath. She was courageous, stubborn, funny, loveable, and downright awesome. Despite Ethan’s constant attempts to protect her and send her home, she wouldn’t listen, and I honestly loved her. I would love to see her POV in one of the other books, (but I'm afraid to check in case I get spoiled!!) She broke down Ethan’s barrier and finally allowed him to let someone into his heart after years of pushing people away.

“I needed this girl; I needed her laughter and fearlessness, the way she kept pushing me, refusing to be intimidated. I’d kept people at arm’s length for so long, scared of what the fey would do to them if I got close, but I couldn’t do that anymore. Not to her.”

There was also Kierran, an Iron Fey who helps Ethan and Kenzie on their quest who was shrouded in mystery, to be honest. He has a lot of secrets, some I still don’t know about but make me very curious. He was very entertaining and I really enjoyed his character.

The lost Prince has a unique plot and is a great reintroduction to Julie Kagawa’s world of the Fey. The world is still just as mesmerising and enjoyable with every return trip and I can’t wait to continue Ethan’s journey in The Iron Traitor.

3 comments:

  1. I'm in complete agreement with Kenzie! She was such a strong character, and she completely knocked down Ethan's barriers like they were nothing. I totally want to be like her, just walking into the Nevernever with a smile on my face :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think we should all aspire to be the Kenzie in our lives! Glad I'm not the only one who liked her, I read some reviews with people annoyed by her character! Disgraceful, I say! Haha :)

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed this one! I still haven't read it but I loved the original series. It's great to know that these are just as great and that we see some new faces as well as old ones :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey guys, hope you enjoyed this post!
I love comments and seeing that people took the effort to actually write something always makes me smile :)
I reply to every comment made, so be sure to leave something if you have something to say! :)
Hope you have a great day! x